One of the biggest obstacles to buying and investing in real estate is a significant influencer in your life. It could be your spouse, a family member or a friend.
This week I want to I give you some tools to help you overcome this obstacle. 😊
People after a certain age have a paradigm, a model, for how to achieve their goals in life. And when they give you advice, they usually think that you should follow this paradigm. The problem with that is:
- It’s usually not easy to duplicate their success
- You may not have the same life goals
- You are starting the journey with different skills and resources
So look for an advisor that has done what you want to do.
“If you want to be successful, find someone who has achieved the results that you want and copy what they do.” – Tony Robbins
Your family and friends have seen you grow up and do lots of silly things, so it helps to remember that:
- They love you
- They probably don’t think you can be successful with real estate
- Success won’t prove that you can do it in their eyes
And if you do get “unsolicited advice” ask these three questions:
- What did you do in my situation?
- How did it work out for you?
- What options did you consider?
The answer to those questions will tell you whether you should listen to the unsolicited advice!
When trying to influence people some helpful guiding principles are:
- When you are trying to influence your significant other remember that you probably have alignment on goals and if you don’t, or haven’t talked about it yet then this is a great place to start
- The goal isn’t to be right or to win.
- The goal is to achieve your goals together.
- Ask questions, be open to the answers and learn together
Three step influencing process:
- Make a list of all the people that can influence your real estate investment goals, rank them in order of importance and determine where they are at in terms of support
- Brainstorm their: issues and concerns, personal needs and drivers, then ideas to influence them based on those
- Create a communication plan based on these ideas
If you want to see some examples of the templates I am talking about in this video, or if you just want to talk about real estate just email or book a FREE No Obligation Investor Consultation.